Friday, July 18, 2008

Achilleos' shooting hits golden target in Belgrade

Georgios Achilleos grabbed the gold in the men's skeet event of the ISSF World Cup Belgrade 2008 with an final score of 149 hits, one target short of tying the world record.

"I am so close, the record will come!" said the gold medalist from Cyprus after the match.

The silver went to 47-year-old Athens Olympic champion Andrea Benelli after a three-way shoot-off. The Italian athlete made a shocking statement after claiming his medal: "My last World Cup, my last medal. I will quit after the Olympics, and this time I am for real."

Two young shooters, 27-year-old Achilleos and 23-year-old Anthonis Terras of France, entered the final with a tied score of 124 hits.

Currently ranked the world's number one shooter, Achilleos, who missed only one target in the qualification rounds, missed no more in the final, finishing in first with a total score of 149 hits

"I am happy of this gold medal, it means something on the road to Beijing. I am preparing myself, and I will not take part in the European Championships in Cyprus, next July. I want to peak for the Olympics," commented the champion.

As Terras tied Benelli and Czech shooter Jan Sychra with a final score of 148 hits, a shoot-off was needed to decide who the silver and bronze medalists would be. Sychra left the competition at the second target with 148 + 1 hits. Benelli and Terras carried on until the 10th pair, when Terras missed, giving the silver to Benelli.

The men's skeet final concluded the last World Cup for this year.

No comments: